The leaves on the trees are changing and winds are getting cooler. The days are getting shorter and Autumn is in full swing! So grab your jackets and sweaters break out the scarves and boots and bring on the most beautiful season of the year. Along with that comes more hearty meals such as soups, stews and roasts. This brings me to this easy but fantastic soup! Its light and lemony with a little heat thanks to the chipotle peppers. This dish will warm you from the inside out! Enjoy!!
- 6 Cups of chicken broth(homemade or boxed).
- 1 Jalapeño pepper (diced).
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- 2 Limes.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 1 Red roasted pepper ( cut into 1/2 inch strips)
- Bunch of cilantro (for garnishing)
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (rough chopped).
- 1/2 Tsp of ground oregano.
- 1 package of chicken tender loins (chicken breast OK). cut into small pcs.
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- 2 Haas avocados.
- 2 Cups White rice (cooked in a rice cooker, equal part of rice and water)
In a medium sized pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and brown all sides (about 3-4 minutes). Once chicken is browned, remove from pot and set aside. Add the rest of oil to the pot along with the jalapeño pepper, red roasted pepper, garlic and chipotle pepper (I used one Tsp of the adobo sauce to increase heat). Cook on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add the Chicken stock and the oregano, stir a few times and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, lower heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the chicken and the lime juice and continue to simmer. In a medium sized bowl, add one to two spoons of cooked rice, ladle in enough soup to cover rice, add a few slices of avocado and cilantro, grab a spoon and enjoy this easy to make meal.